RECOMMENDED PLACES TO PLACE THE SMOKE ALARMS
Place the first alarm in the immediate area of the bedrooms. Try
monitor the output path as the bedrooms are usually sections
far from exits. If more than one sleeping area, locate additional alarms
• Locate additional alarms to monitor any stairway as the
stairways act like chimneys for smoke and heat.
• Locate at least one alarm on each floor level.
• Locate an alarm in every bedroom.
• Locate an alarm in every room where appliances are used
(Eg portable heaters or humidifiers).
• Locate an alarm in every room where someone sleeps with the door
closed. The closed door may prevent an alarm that is not placed
I wake up in that room who sleeps in it.
• Smoke, heat and combustion products rise to the ceiling and
spread horizontally. Place the smoke alarm on the ceiling to the center
It allows you to be closer to all points of the room. It is preferable
During installation on the roof of a regular residential construction.
• For installation in mobile homes (caravans), choose carefully places
to avoid thermal barriers can be formed on the ceiling. For more
details, see the section INSTALLATION IN MOBILE HOME.
• When mounting an alarm on the ceiling, locate it at a minimum of 4 inches
(10 cm) of the side wall (see Figure 1).
• When mounting the alarm on the wall, use an inside wall with the end
Alarm superior to at least 4 inches (10 cm) and a maximum of
12 inches (30.5 cm) below the ceiling (see Figure 1).
• Put smoke alarms at both ends of a hallway where there are bedrooms
or large room if the hallway or room are over 30
feet (9.1 m) long.
• Install smoke alarms on sloped roofs, pointed or cathedral type
or within a range of 3 feet (0.9 m) the highest point (measured horizontally).
NFPA 72 states: “Smoke alarms in rooms
most sloping roof 1 foot in 8 feet (0.3 m by 2.4 m) horizontally
must be located on the high side of the room. “NFPA 72
1261-7202-00 (820-1552-SP) .qxd: 2008.11.6 10:33 a.m. _ Page 4
It states: “A row of detectors shall
It is spaced and located within a range of 3
feet (91.4 cm) from the top of the roof measured
horizontally “(see Figure 3).
• Install smoke alarms on type tray ceilings (ceilings
coffered) in the highest section of the roof or
inclined section of the ceiling within 12 inches
(30.5 cm) vertically downward from the point
Posted on: 05/24/2016, by : Starlyn Tejada